The big catching up post.

All us slacker posters do this every once in a while. It’s been so long since we posted that we have to round up the so-called “highlights” of the last several days/weeks/months since the last post we grudgingly turned loose upon those few who actually stumble across our blogs from time to time (usually on their way to webmail, hi sis!). These posts are usually filled with inane drivel, and pointless ramblings. This is one of those posts.

You’ve been warned.

There haven’t been very many “highs” in the highlights, which, I suppose, would account for most of the silence here. I’ve never liked going to some blog and reading about what a drag life has been for someone. It just isn’t, I dunno, uplifting. And so, I’ve never been the sort to post the day-to-day inanity of a life that consists of sleep, work, eat, work, eat, work, rinse, repeat. Throw in the inevitable pains, and you end up with a rather bland view of life. Who wants to read about that?

Though, to be fair, the rare patch of beauty shines through the fog of dreary survival, to remind us that there are certainly worse alternatives to life.

But we’ll start with the mucky stuff. There has been much marital strife. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Additionally, I’ve been sick for the second time in the last year. The good thing is that it’s only the second time… the year before that, seemed like I couldn’t go a month without something infecting me. Immediately upon my recovery, my wife came down with whatever it was that got me. Unfortuately, she took it and ran with it. Then she caught something else… a strep infection. We didn’t know that bit at first though, which was rather unfortunate (as you’ll soon see).

One of the highlights was that I also got the chance to go on a mini-vacation. I had a bit of money put aside to do something with the kids, and we decided on a trip to the beach. We’d leave on a Thursday, and come back on Saturday or Sunday. So, my three kids and I headed east for what adventure we could find on the coast. There was minor adventure to be had, and I believe it’s safe to say that we were soaking it up. We wandered around the tourist-oriented environs of the local boardwalk, bought trinkets and supplies at the local hungry-eyed merchants’ pavilions, lazed about on the beach (a little bit), swum in the ocean and the pool, gazed off our 10th floor balcony overlooking the beach and ocean, watched the local live talent show off their skills for our amusement, and of course, we all ate way too much, but there’s no place to hit a seafood buffet like the coast, right? The all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet (with pancakes, waffles, omelettes, and french toast made to order while you watch) didn’t help much either. Funny how much pleasure we derive from stuffing our faces more than is good for us, but I digress.

So, remember that strep infection? It turns out that if you get a strep infection to go systemic, either spreading about your upper body, or worse yet, in your blood stream, it causes a disease known as scarlet fever. Guess how I found this out.

Not only did she get scarlet fever, she got scarlet fever that was fairly resistant to antibiotic treatment. My poor wife spent 6 days in the hospital, after a precipitous arrival in a rescue squad, called when my mother-in-law took a look at a particularly distressing looking rash that was taking over my wife’s body. The fact that my wife had also become deleriously feverish with a temperature over 104F contributed, I understand. The first little while that she was in the hospital was actually somewhat touch-and-go. This took place while I and the kids were sunnin’ ourselves on the sand a mere 3 hour drive to the east.

So, having just decided that we’d go ahead and stay until Sunday… on Saturday morning, around 7:30am, I got a call on my cell phone from my wife’s hospital room, tellin’ me she needed me. So we packed it in and headed home. As I mentioned before, she was in for six days. So the next week or so after that was spent trying to divide my time among the kids at home, work, and my wife in the hospital. Not very restful, as you can imagine, but I guarantee she had a worse time than I did.

She did get to come home, though, and has been home for a few days, and is still convalescing. It appears that we’ve probably got another couple of weeks before she’s fully recovered, and that’s if no complications set in. Whee.

There’s really not much else to report. Work has continued to be far more challenging than my previous job, and in many ways more rewarding. But, mostly, life has been about surviving. Waiting. Weathering what seems to be constant storms, and looking forward to a ray of sunshine. There’s been a few times where it seemed the sun was about to burst through… but so far it’s always been followed by yet another storm.

I’d better quit before this analogy rains itself right out.

About Lafe

Lafe is a beer and computer geek who occasionally writes his thoughts for the world to see.
This entry was posted in General, Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply